Linux Kernel Programming
- Paperback: 754 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (March 19, 2021)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 178995343X
- ISBN-13: 978-1789953435
Linux Kernel Programming: Learn how to write high-quality kernel module code, solve common Linux kernel programming issues, and understand the fundamentals of Linux kernel internals
Linux Kernel Programming is a comprehensive introduction for those new to Linux kernel and module development. This easy-to-follow guide will have you up and running with writing kernel code in next-to-no time. This book uses the latest 5.4 Long-Term Support (LTS) Linux kernel, which will be maintained from November 2019 through to December 2025. By working with the 5.4 LTS kernel throughout the book, you can be confident that your knowledge will continue to be valid for years to come.
This Linux book begins by showing you how to build the kernel from the source. Next, you’ll learn how to write your first kernel module using the powerful Loadable Kernel Module (LKM) framework. The book then covers key kernel internals topics including Linux kernel architecture, memory management, and CPU scheduling. Next, you’ll delve into the fairly complex topic of concurrency within the kernel, understand the issues it can cause, and learn how they can be addressed with various locking technologies (mutexes, spinlocks, atomic, and refcount operators). You’ll also benefit from more advanced material on cache effects, a primer on lock-free techniques within the kernel, deadlock avoidance (with lockdep), and kernel lock debugging techniques.
- Write high-quality modular kernel code (LKM framework) for 5.x kernels
- Configure and build a kernel from source
- Explore the Linux kernel architecture
- Get to grips with key internals regarding memory management within the kernel
- Understand and work with various dynamic kernel memory alloc/dealloc APIs
- Discover key internals aspects regarding CPU scheduling within the kernel
- Gain an understanding of kernel concurrency issues
- Find out how to work with key kernel synchronization primitives
By the end of this Linux Kernel Programming book, you’ll have a detailed understanding of the fundamentals of writing Linux kernel module code for real-world projects and products.
[ Exclusive Offer! Order Cute Newborn Baby Blanket Now. Get Lowest Price & 60 Day Return Policy. Huge Discounts Available! Bravo Goods Special Offer Expires Soon. ]