Systems Performance, 2nd Edition
- Paperback: 928 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook; 2nd edition (December 9, 2020)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0136820158
- ISBN-13: 978-0136820154
Systems Performance: Enterprise and the Cloud, 2nd Edition
Systems Performance, Second Edition, covers concepts, strategy, tools, and tuning for operating systems and applications, using Linux-based operating systems as the primary example. A deep understanding of these tools and techniques is critical for developers today. Implementing the strategies described in this thoroughly revised and updated edition can lead to a better end-user experience and lower costs, especially for cloud computing environments that charge by the OS instance.
Systems performance expert and best-selling author Brendan Gregg summarizes relevant operating system, hardware, and application theory to quickly get professionals up to speed even if theyve never analyzed performance before. Gregg then provides in-depth explanations of the latest tools and techniques, including extended BPF, and shows how to get the most out of cloud, web, and large-scale enterprise systems. Key topics covered include:
- Hardware, kernel, and application internals, and how they perform
- Methodologies for rapid performance analysis of complex systems
- Optimizing CPU, memory, file system, disk, and networking usage
- Sophisticated profiling and tracing with perf, Ftrace, and BPF (BCC and bpftrace)
- Performance challenges associated with cloud computing hypervisors
- Benchmarking more effectively
Featuring up-to-date coverage of Linux operating systems and environments, Systems Performance, 2nd Edition, also addresses issues that apply to any computer system. The book will be a go-to reference for many years to come and, like the first edition, required reading at leading tech companies.